BOD Committee Members:
• President: Joyce Moss, BSN, RN, MN, CWS
• V.P.: Judy Harwood, BS, RN, PHN, CWOCN
• Secretary: Kathy Jo Musgraves, BSN, CWOCN
• Treasurer: Donna Rositani, BSN, CWOCN
• Education Coordinator: Elisabeth Harvey, RN, MSN, CWOCN
• Membership Coordinator: Marilee Katz RN CWOCN
• Public Relations Coordinator: Deborah Zaricor RN CWOCN
• Communications Coordinator: Julie Lindfors, RN, CWCCN
• Parliamentarian: Fran Boughey, RN, CWCN, COCN
• Ways & Means: Marie Ward, RN, MSN CWOCN
• Government Affairs: Marilyn Magoffin, RN, CWOCN, FNP
• Historian: Cecelia Arthur, RN, CWOCN
STATE OF PCR
• Nominations are now open for President, Secretary, Education Coordinator and Communication Coordinator. If you are interested please contact Marilee Katz, Membership Coordinator. She can be reached via email at email@example.com.
• The Scholarship Chair is open. This is an appointed position. We have three scholarships and we need someone to help with administrating these funds. If you are interested in this position please contact Marilee Katz firstname.lastname@example.org or Joyce Moss Joycemoss_@hotmail.com
• Thanks to your commitment PCR continues to grow and remains a financially sound organization.
• The NIWI scholarship was given to Shelly Burdette-Taylor. She attended NIWI in Washington DC
• The scholarship for you youth rally went to Elizabeth Hiltabidel. Both Shelly and Liz will be giving us reports regarding their experiences at NIWI and the Youth Rally at the February Conference. If you would like to attend either one of these events we have a scholarship and you can apply by contacting Judy Harwood at email@example.com
NEWS FROM WOCN
Wound, Ostomy and Continence (WOC) nursing is one of the newest specialties recognized by the American Nurses Association (ANA). The Wound Ostomy & Continence Nursing Society (WOCN) was recently notified of the ANA’s decision. WOCN has The WOC Nursing Scope and Standards which can be purchased at the WOCN bookstore.
The PCR conference was a huge success. It was held in Berkeley last February and the venue was amazing. We had an incredible view of the San Francisco Bay and wonderful speakers including Dr. Gray and Lara Bolton. There were 95 registrants, over 30 vendors and 12 first time attendees. Many thanks to Liz, Susan and Cheryl. Denise Barton won the President’s Award and Deborah Zaricor won the Rising Star Award. You can nominate anyone who you believe deserves recognition for their tireless efforts and contributions to WOC. The list of the awards and their qualifications are listed on the PCR web site. Please email your nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org before December 31st to be recognized at our next conference in Feb 2011. The next PCR conference will be in Las Vegas February 18-20th 2011
logoWOCN conference was held in Phoenix this year. We had over 87 people attending the PCR Social. This was the first year that it was a joint conference with WOCN and WCET. It was very interesting to see how the wocn specialty is practiced throughout the world. The closing session was given by our own Katherine Jetters. The next WOCN will be held in New Orleans June 4-8 2011.
SAWC Fall Symposium on Advance Wound Care will be held in Anaheim from September 23rd to the 25th. Please go to their web site for information www.sawc.net
Youth rally will be held at Xavier University Cincinnati, Ohio from July 12-17th. You can still donate monies to the rally for this year. Next year the rally will be at SDSU in San Diego from July 11-16. PCR has a scholarship for anyone who would like to be a counselor or you can volunteer and pay your on way. For more information you can go to their web site at www.rally4youth.org. You can also obtain information at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Joyce Black PhD, RN, CWCN, CPSN, Immediate Past President of the NAUAP, Associate Professor University of Nevada, will be speaking at next meeting of the Inland Empire Affiliate of PCR on July 15th at Kaiser-Fontana Medical Center. For information and registration you can call Shield Healthcare @ 1-800557-8797 Option 1
Courtney Lyder ND, GNP, FAAN, Dean of Nursing, UCLA will be speaking at the next meeting of the Los Angeles Affiliate of PCR on September 16th :30 AM at UCLA Medical Center. For further info contact Linda Roof RN, MSN, CWOCN @ email@example.com
NEWS FROM OUR LOCAL AFFILIATES AND MEMBERS…
Barbara Bates Jensen was awarded The Research Award at WOCN for her article titled “Subepidermal Moisture is Associated with Early Pressure Ulcer Damage in Nursing Home Residents with Dark Skin Tone”, published in the Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing. Congratulations!
Kudos to Judy Harwood for receiving the Hero’s Award from Kaiser, not only did she teach the patient and his wife how to care for his ostomy and stage IV pressure ulcer but she went the extra mile. After he was discharge she made a home visit and was able to have a hospital bed and EHOB mattress donated. This enabled his wife to return to the couple’s bed after sleeping on the floor.
Liz Harvey had a poster presentation at WOCN in Phoenix!
logoEast Bay Support Group…
East Bay Peer Support Group meets in Walnut Creek at Kathy Kreek Restaurant 1670 Locust St., Walnut Creek, CA 94596. The group meets 4 times a year. Each meeting there is a vendor who talks about their new products as well as networking among attendees. Come share your ideas, everyone is welcome whether they’re a member of PCR or not! For more information email Marie Ward firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inland Empire Support Group…
The Inland Empire Group meets at Kaiser Fontana in the Palm Court building every other month on the third Thursday of the month from 2:00 to 4:00. Our next meeting is actually a dinner and lecture by Joyce Black, sponsored by Coloplast on July 15th. You can contact me Phyllis McGinnis at (909)427-3288 or Charlotte Lisco (909)427-7890. Submitted by Phyllis McGinnis
L.A. Support Group…
The Los Angeles group meets every other month on the 3rd Thursday of the month with July being dark. We meet at UCLA Medical Center and Linda Roof RN CWOCN puts the meeting together. We meet for rolls, fruit and coffee @ 7:30 AM. Each meeting we have a rep from a different company discussing their newest products. Our next meeting will be on September 16 @ 7:30 AM and we have a special guest Courtney Lyder. For information contact Linda Roof at email@example.com
Reno Support Group…
The group in Reno, Northern Nevada- welcomes all to attend our meeting that have an interest in the specialty. We have nearly 45 on our contact list. We generally have 15 to 25 in attendance at our monthly luncheon or dinner meeting supported by the generosity of the company representatives. The group is co-chaired by Marilee Katz and Betty Razor. Our last meeting was a review of the conference attended by a large group of our members: Karen Wilson, Melinda Miller, Marilee Katz, Dixie Fox, Andrea Harde, and Betty Razor. We all gave the conference a high five for a great and different WOCN/WCET conference. The theme of Passion -Persistence-Vision created an environment of learning and appreciating the knowledge we obtained on health care issues around the world. It was an enlightening experience for everyone and increased our appreciations of our health care in this country. There were outstanding presentations from WCET members in English -a second language for most of them. The parade of countries was thrilling and brought tears to some. Many appreciated the historical perspective of WOCN and meeting the icons of the specialty who took the first baby steps of the organization.
We are very pleased in the growth of WOCN in our area from 3 to over 14 WOCN in the last ten years.
• Our newest addition is a transfer from southern Nevada ( Las Vegas ) Paula Cooper, who has joined Melinda Miller at the VA; what a great team they make!
• Lynn Johnson continues on her road to attain her APN- another year maybe of balancing her life at home, horses, work and education
• Karen Wilson recertified as CWOCN
• Jocelyn Kunkle recertified in Wound and completed her testing and certified as an Ostomy Nurse
• Lynn Johnson, Melinda Miller and Marilee Katz recertified as CWOCN and added foot and nail certification
• Melinda Miller recertified as a CWOCN and CFCN. She documented the need for a second WOCN to address the PU prevention and treatment
• Gay Muto attended Emory and became certified as CWOCN and CFCN
• Patty Manavbasi completed the on line program with clinical in Seattle & Portland and certified as CWOCN and CFCN well. She is opening an ostomy clinic at Saint Mary’s.
We have had an increase of hyperbaric chamber options with five in our area now
The local ostomy support group is gearing up for hosting the UOAA national conference to be held in Reno August 2011. Marilee Katz is the liaison with the planning committee. We will be setting up the “Ostomy Clinics” for this function.
Bereavement issues have been too common in our group recently and we extend out heartfelt condolences to all who are suffering in mind and spirit. Submitted by Betty Razor
Orange County Support Group…
The Orange County Support Group is in the process of being reorganized. If you would like any further information regarding the next meeting please contact Fran Boughey at ETFran@aol.com