As you may be aware, a major goal outlined in the WOCN Society’s recent strategic plan was to improve/enhance the communication between the National Office and the Regions and Affiliates. This goal was outlined, in part, because the WOCN Society recognizes the valuable role that Regions and Affiliates can have in advocacy and public policy.
To meet this objective, the Society will begin sending regular communications to our Regions and Affiliates regarding advocacy items with the intent to educate and energize our members. In turn, we are hopeful that the Regions and Affiliates will bring public policy ideas/concerns/question to National so that we can effectively carry out a public policy agenda that fits our members’ needs.
The following request is the first Grassroots Action Item designed to address those goals outlined in the Strategic Plan. We are hopeful that you will forward the information contained below to your Regional and Affiliate members and get them engaged in public policy. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.
In order to have a platform on Capitol Hill to address the issues that impact the nursing profession, Representatives Lois Capps (D-CA) and David Joyce (R-OH) have established a bi-partisan Congressional Nursing Caucus. The Nursing Caucus allows Members of Congress an open forum to learn about and address a range of issues affecting the nursing community.
The Caucus provides an excellent, non-partisan forum for the discussion of issues that impact the nursing profession, and helps members of Congress who care about these issues to come together to address them. Additionally, the Nursing Caucus will allow members of Congress an open forum to address issues affecting the nursing community. It will also serve as a clearinghouse for information and a sounding board for ideas brought forth by the nursing community
• The nursing profession is at a critical crossroads. Numbering more than 3.1 million, RNs are the largest healthcare workforce in America. Yet the supply of nurses is failing to meet our national need. The growing shortage of RNs is impacting the entire health care system, resulting in decreased patient care quality, and complicating efforts to prepare for natural disasters and acts of terrorism.
• The House Nursing Caucus will provide a forum to address issues such as the nursing shortage, burdensome tuition debt for nursing education, and patient safety issues.
• It will also provide Members an open forum to address issues affecting the nursing community. It also serves as a clearinghouse for information and a sounding board for ideas brought forth by the nursing community.
We urge you to review the list of current Caucus Members. If your Representative is not listed, consider sending them a letter urging them to join. If your Representative is listed as a member of the Caucus please take a moment to send them a letter thanking them for their support.
Draft letters for each scenario are attached for your convenience; please feel free to personalize. To locate your member of Congress and their contact information, please go to: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
The WOCN National Office
Director of Committee Relations
Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society™ (WOCN®)
15000 Commerce Parkway
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054
Toll Free: 888-224-9626
• Draft Letter Urging Your Member to Join the Caucus Microsoft Word format .doc file
• Draft Letter Thanking Your Member of Congress Microsoft Word format .doc file